After Hair Transplant
Carrying out all of the necessary steps of the hair transplantation process is important for a successful and seamless hair transplant. This includes before, during and after hair transplantation. In our clinic, we perform this procedure in a skillful and professional manner. Moreover, throughout the whole process we provide our patients with high-quality service. As a patient you might want to know about the aftercare process of the hair transplantation procedure. So let’s take a look at the timeline of healing after hair transplant as well as some potential negative effects and how the aftercare process is carried out.
Potential Negative Effects After Hair Transplantation
After a hair transplant, some side effects may be experienced and there may be some complications associated with this procedure. The negative effects that can happen due to this process are often small. Moreover, these side effects mostly go away after some time.
First of all, after the hair transplant you will have a bandage on the donor site. Then we will remove this bandage the next day following the procedure. In addition, there will small scabs in the recipient area and small red holes in the donor area, which will likely heal within 15 days. Fortunately, these side effects can be reduced with proper ice applications, suitable emollient lotions or the symptomatic medicine which you will get after the surgery.
Aside from the side effects that we have just mentioned, here are some of the potential negative effects which we can expect after hair transplant operation:
- Swelling after hair transplant: A negative effect that is possible to experience after the hair transplant procedure is swelling in the scalp. Remember to stay hydrated and follow your doctor’s directions in case this happens.
- Burning sensation: A couple of days after the operation, a burning sensation may occur, especially in the donor area. In this case, it is recommended that you only apply the moisturizing lotion three or four times a day to your donor site and wait for it to be absorbed.
- Itching: A few days after the operation, itching may begin. However this is normal to feel and it is a sign of healing. Do not scratch or pick at the cultivated area. Itching may continue for several days.
- Swelling in the face and around the eyes: After hair transplantation, there may be some swelling around the eyes and in the face. In case this happens, ice applications may be helpful. A few days after the operation this side effect will likely go away.
- Other potential side effects: After hair transplant, there may be bleeding, infection, inflammation and other potential negative effects.
Timeline of Healing After Hair Transplant Operation
In case you are planning to go through the hair transplant process, you might be curious about the potential timeline of healing after the operation. Because even though this may be an important procedure that you may be wanting to go through, you would likely want to go back to your normal life as soon as possible. Here is a potential timeline of healing that we may expect after hair transplantation:
- Day 1: One day after the operation, you will come to the hospital. Then we will change your dressings and wash your head. At this follow up meeting we will provide you with a special shampoo and lotion, and describe how to wash your hair for the next 15 days.
- Day 3: On the third day, you will start washing your hair in the way we explained it. Washing will help remove the scabs and speed up the healing process.
- Days 5 to 7: At this point the transplanted hair grafts will become stronger and more resilient to touch. However, you should still avoid scratching. Also hair in the transplanted area will start to fall down as a natural part of the healing process and continue to do so for 2 to 3 months.
- Days 15 to 30: “Shock hair loss” is often experienced in this period and the hair starts to shed. But it is no reason to worry, as this is a part of the healing process as well.
- Months 1 to 6: After hair falls out, regrowth begins and becomes visible usually around the three month mark. Then within six months, you can begin to see some changes and spot some of the result.
- Months 6 to 12: If the hair transplant process was successful, transplanted hair will continue to grow and become thicker over time.
- Months 12 to 18: In 12 to 18 months you will see the final results of your hair transplantation operation.
After everything, smile with your new look!
There are some videos from our Youtube channel about this article.
If you have questions about hair transplant process, contact with us via below.